PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Replacing one fabric texture/color with another.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

gryanb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Replacing one fabric texture/color with another. Reply with quote

I am looking to take an image of a seat and change the current material to a different material. The new material will be both a different color and a different texture so just changing the color with an adjustment layer will not work, but may be part of the process. I need this to look very realistic; complete with shadows and highlights.

Is there a way to take a sample from the material I want to use and apply it quickly? I have been using photoshop for a while now and can't think of a way to do this. I am thinking this may be a job for a different program, but if I can do it in photoshop that would be wonderful.

If anyone has any ideas let me know

thank you

jerryb4417

PS Version: photoshop cs5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing one fabric texture/color with another. Reply with quote

hi,
been practicing doing something like that doing a retouch and replacing a plain dress with a plaid material texture.... in fact having shadows and hilights on the orginal helps a lot to make it realistic... anyway enough talking...

I think if you use the displacement map feautre... that will do what you want.... i am not good at steps but found a link that will get you in the right direction.....
http://www.photoshopsupport.com/elements/tutorials/displace-filter/displacement-map.html

plus there a ton of displament map tutorials on the net...!

now another meathod i used....

is creat a "pattern" from the image material yo want to use...

mask off the target object

then choose the pattern stamp tools
select the patter you created ealier and then bursh in.....

this method also retains some of the shadows and hhilights..

those are two meathods i have used.... hopefully some one with more expertice will come along provide a better meathod and/or tips... good luck

gryanb wrote:
I am looking to take an image of a seat and change the current material to a different material. The new material will be both a different color and a different texture so just changing the color with an adjustment layer will not work, but may be part of the process. I need this to look very realistic; complete with shadows and highlights.

Is there a way to take a sample from the material I want to use and apply it quickly? I have been using photoshop for a while now and can't think of a way to do this. I am thinking this may be a job for a different program, but if I can do it in photoshop that would be wonderful.

If anyone has any ideas let me know

thank you

gryanb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can make an appropriate overlay of the new material, I am now just looking for an exact way to make the shadows and highlights come through the background layer and make the new material I have placed on top come to life rather than make it look like a flat fake layer.

Any ideas?

thanks for your help jerryb4417
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: