PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Saving via an action
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Bocaire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Saving via an action Reply with quote

I have a strange situation in one of my actions.

I recorded an action to do some "routine" Photoshop commands on an image. That works fine

Then I added in recorded commands to save the file with a new name, using

"SAVE AS" (CTRL+SHIFT+S)

I then hit "home", to go to the beginning of the file name, and typed in "RET " to modify the file name of the image being worked in.

I then hit the ENTER key twice to save the image in a quality level of 6.

When the action runs, it saves the image as a different file name in that folder. The "RET" is added, but the balance of the saved name is not the original filename. So after I had modified about a dozen images, I could not find them, since each time I ran the action, it just saved the image to the same file name as the previous running of the action, and overwrote the previous file. So after doing 12 or so images, I only had 1 file saved. So I switched over to manually saving the image, and that of course works fine.

I suspect that the "HOME" command in the action does not produce the same effect as when I have a filename in edit mode, where "home" brings me to the start of the file name.

But "home" does not bring me to any "home" that I can identify.

Does anyone know what is happening here?

Ron Hirsch

hawkeye

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be running File-Automate-Batch and renaming the files from there. Make sure to check Override Action Save As Commands.

Bocaire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Save as problem Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry, but I do not understand your reply. I am not running this action on a series of files automatically.

After I run the action each file, I then may do several other manual activities on each file. Following that, I then just hit CTRL+S, and close the file, and open the next file.

The reason I rename after I run the group of image commands in the action is that I still want to leave the original file, unchanged.

So this is not a case of renaming a group of files as such. Each file has to be saved with its new name to do this before selecting the next file to run the action on it.

If I do the steps I noted manually, the file does get properly renamed and saved. I just do not understand why the action does not duplicate my manual approach.

hawkeye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to maintain the original then create a duplicate in your action and close the original. Make the changes and rename the duplicate.

Image-Duplicate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: