PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Tips for Creating a Horror Movie Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> PhotoshopForums.com Tutorials and Featured Tips
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

kristanfranco

PS Version: CS4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Tips for Creating a Horror Movie Poster Reply with quote

One of my dream jobs is to be part of a movie where I am on an advertising team who creates the whole concept of the movie poster. Every time I want to watch a movie, I usually look for the poster first. The movie poster will eventually catch a viewer's attention. The poster's theme, on the other hand, should generally fit the movie.

I recently took shot of a busy crowd observing a bushfire near our place. Sadly, when I viewed the photo in my computer, it was slightly out of focus. Since I forgot to set the photo in a higher quality, I end up hitting VGA. Fortunately, instead of trashing it out, someone inspired me to create a horror movie poster out of it. My younger brother told me that the people in this photo look liked ZOMBIES. From that moment, the idea on creating a conceptual movie poster buzzed me.

With online resources, I've come up with this:

Here are a few tips in creating the movie poster you always wanted to make. You're own hoax horror movie poster:

1. Choose a background that will dominate the viewer's eye. In my version, I used the photo above.

2. Download various grunge textures to make your background more appealing.

3. Apply blending options and the basic filters of Photoshop. Experiment to achieve your desired output. Adding noise to the background can be a good way.

4. Enhance the levels and curves of the photo. In this way, the contrast between the photo and the title itself would be high.

5. Use a font that would fit a horror movie. In the title of the movie poster I created, I used the Living Hell font to fit the grungy background.

6. Add a subtitle. Aside from the title, add a subtitle that will drive viewers to curiosity. I used the subtitle, "Who will survive and what will be left of them?" from the old Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie. If your title's font is bold, the subtitle should not be as thick and as big as the title or vice versa.

7. The credits. It's either located at the top or at the bottom of the poster. In my homemade horror poster, I just cut out a credit portion of another movie poster. If you want to create your own "credits" part, the common font used is the UniversLT font. The color of your credits font should match the background.

kristanfranco.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission. :)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

darklite

PS Version: cs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this, it's fun! Nice job on the credit details at the bottom. That's always what makes the poster.

http://www.autumnwindstudios.com

thehermit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice use of a photo that may have languished unloved on the HD. Good work.

garry15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your idea and movie poster thanks

heartscool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice work thank for sharing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> PhotoshopForums.com Tutorials and Featured Tips All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: