PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
transparent .bmp's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

FlAsH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: transparent .bmp's Reply with quote

ok i wanted to know how i would make the backround on a .bmp transparent, i try actually setting transparency to 0% but it always comes out white and not transparent.

Alzeric

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be wrong on this one, but I believe that bitmaps can not have transparent backgrounds I think they revert to white. You might wanna try making it a .gif and in Photoshop 7 I know there is a Save As Web feature and make sure you check mark Transparency (this is what i use when i need a image transparent). Also you will be able to get the filesize alot smaller using .gif instead of bitmap. In PS7 you can optimize the filesize and create substantially smaller files.

Like I said I might be wrong on the .bmp can't be transparent but if you don't need the file in .bmp format then use .gif. If you do and you are creating images for let's say a video game (which i've done some images for mod projects before) where the image had to be transparent and .bmp but there was a certain color that the game engine made transparent (ie. Bright Pink) If this is the case then find others that are modding the game and see what color is needed for transparency in that particular game engine.

~Alzeric

beetle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alzeric -- you are correct - bitmaps cannot contain transparency.

The highest color purity for bitmaps is 24bit. That is 8 bits per color per pixel. 32-bit color provides an extra 8-bit channel for transparency (alpha) -- but since bitmaps highest is 24, they cannot have any transparency, as all bits are devoted to RGB color.

beley

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't GIF and PNG the only image formats (used regularly) that support transparent backgrounds?

2BigFeet.com - Large Size Shoes for Men and Women
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

beetle

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beley - yes, to the best of my knowledge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: