PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Very basic beginner...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

pixiegirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Very basic beginner... Reply with quote

I didn't see a beginner forum here (I'll look again maybe missed it) and I have what I'm sure are the most basic and stupid questions. I know Photoshop is a huge program and it will take me a long time to get to know it.

I have some questions about actions.... On facebook there are a lot of places that give away/sell actions. Some of them are really nice. I do know I can record my own actions too but given that I'm so brand new I have no idea what i can do with it yet.

So here are my questions in regards to actions:

I'm not even sure what they really are: they are steps that were recorded that make certain changes each time to the pix you are working on, correct? So if I record or buy an action and use it (still haven't figured out how to install or use them yet) it will do the same manipulations to each pix I apply it to? Is that right?

Do most people buy/get actions or do most of you record your own?

Why would people buy actions when there are so many of them on the net for free?

The places I mentioned on Facebook are legitimate businesses and occasionally give away an action or two and I downloaded some to try (not installed yet, cuz I don't know how) so I'm sure they are safe but can actions have viruses? (I'm on a Mac)

One place said to keep your actions in two places... something about the action folder in photoshop can become corrupted... does that happen often? The fact that I saw it mention in a few different places leads me to believe it does happen often?

Lastly one of the places is giving away "textures" and I love some of those too, is that like an action?

Thank you for putting up with all my questions.

Susan

hawkeye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actions are simply recording multiple steps. Other programs refer to them as macros. They allow you to repeat multiple steps by just playing the action any time you need it, instead of doing it manually.

Some people buy actions because they consist of complex techniques that are beyond their capabilities to do themselves. If you don't know how to do it, obviously you can't record it yourself.

I've never had a problem with corrupted files for actions, but it doesn't hurt to store them in two places either.

A texture is not an action. Actually it's simply a picture of a textured surface. It could be an asphalt roadway, a flat rock, a brick wall, etc.

pixiegirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks, clearly I have a lot to learn but that helped. Can they contain viruses (the free ones), have their been any issues with that?

Susan

YourOnlySin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan,

As with anything, and I mean ANYTHING that I download from anywhere on the internet, I first scan the file with my antivirus software before I touch it. Its fast and a step that shouldn't be avoided. Aside from that, I will say that I have never found an infection in anything that Ive downloaded on the internet for Photoshop. This includes brushes, textures, actions, scripts, etc. I suppose I could also state that I have not yet used a single action that I have downloaded and installed because I was able to do the job more easily by figuring out the proper way to do it myself. To this day, the only action I use, from time to time, is a watermarking action that I created myself. It took me less time to learn how to create it myself than it took to search the internet for an action that would do it for me. Truth!

pixiegirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I have figure out how to record my own action and I did a watermark too. But Photoshop is soooo big it's going to take me a long time to learn how to use it and I think there are a few actions I've seen online that I really like and feel it might take me a while to learn. Really I am a beginning beginner. I've had it a week and never used it before. I've been using Aperture for basic pix adjustments.

Thanks for all your help. I'm on a Mac with no virus protection, never had a virus or spyware. Will have to see if I get get a small program to run things I down load thru.

Thanks again, Susan

Netaddict

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan, try to learn the basics first then go into the more advanced stuff. Jumping into the advanced stuff right away is a bit frustrating because you'll have no clue what's going on.

Look if you are really interested in Photoshop, there are plenty of free tutorials online that will teach you the basics and put you on the right track.

pixiegirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually I am watching very beginning videos and trying out what I have learned but I was putting some pix on the net and wanted to watermark them. I got a simple video from youtube on how to do it. I ran the video and kept stopping it so I could follow along and it all worked like a charm!

But for the most part sticking with the easy stuff.

thanks!!!!

YourOnlySin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actions are overrated... Big Wink

I never use them. I have one for a watermark and I don't even use that most of the time. If you like it, learn how to use it....its all about what you want.

Netaddict

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning through videoa is an excellent way. Pausing the video and carrying out the steps then resuming is the only way I use videos.

A quick word of advice for you Susan:

While you are watching and pausing these videos, you might as well type these steps in Word or any other application. In the future you might need o refer to the video for something you forgot, instead of watching the whole video, you'll have the steps written down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: