PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
What stuff?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

BurningAngelwings

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: What stuff? Reply with quote

Hiya ... Can anyone give me some advice please?

What i need the advice because i'm buying my own pc and what would be the minimum requirements i would need if i:

Wanted to run Dreamweaver + Photoshop
Have a decent speed for the pc, so that it doesn't take ages to load up a program or do stuff
And be able to store quite alot of graphics and webpages

Hope someone could tell me what i would need in a pc ... Thanks loads

BA

TiDaL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well price tells you a lot, HOWEVER looks up stuff like "reviews" and others like that on information about the computer or certain parts and how fast they run

webguy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, back in college we were given an assignment, it was to go out and build a fictitious client a pc for their needs.

Here I find myself back in school.. Brow
( hey, I like this guy --> hee hee Weird Look )

You can get some pretty nice computers now adays that blow mine away. And the worst part is they cost less than half of what I paid for mine. For you I would suggest you look for a computer bundle, or maybe just a tower that has similar specs as what I mention below.

For speed: 2GHz, pretty inexpensive by todays standards, but even if you get less than 2Ghz you still get a pretty fast computer. Not blazing, but it should do well for you. I have a AMD 1700+ CPU. It's not slow compared to my old 450MHz.

RAM: Make sure you get something with at least 512Mb. 256Mb is ok, but I've been there, and I can tell you that shelling out the extra $80+ is well worth it. Well worth it!! The rule of thumb is, more RAM = good. More RAM = faster computer. (If you get Windows XP with this computer, and you get 512 megs or higher, disable your paging file. )

Hard Drive - stoarge: Get a hard drive with a minimum 60 Gigs, or 80 Gigs. If you can afford it go into the hundreds. Maybe a 120 Gig Drive if it's within budget. Anything over 120 though is kind of over kill. You don't need that much space unless you plan to have really big images. If you do find that you need more romm you can always upgrde after wards. Simply buy another Hard drive and plug it int beside the current one. Both will be usable side by side. One thing to look at when buying a hard drive is the RPMs. 7200 is good, less than 7200 is bad. You're hard drive will kill your systems performance.

Monitor:
If yu don't yet have a good monitor get at least a 17 inch monitor. If you can get the flat crt screens even better. Anything smaller isn't suitable for graphics work. You'll also have to be sure to inscrease your mintor resolution to above 800x600.

Grahic Card-video card:
If you plan to play games, even todays games and anything new coming out you need to make sure you get something with a minimum 64 Meg on board memory. If you can get 128 Mb onboard go for it.
As for work with photoshop, it also uses the vid card heavily. The ram, the cpu, and in the end hard drive space. Dream weaver is fine with 64Mbs or less for a vid card. I am using 64 and 128 as the vid card end all because today's popular cards that use either or for onboard memory are pretty much on par with each other. You can't go terribly wrong, with 64 MB cards or 128 meg cards. As long as you get a name brand like Nvidia or ATI. Some no name brand may offer nice features and make nice claims, but chances are even if they offer 64+ onboard ram, there algorithms or drivers may suck. So either get an Nvidia vid card or an ATI vid card.

Last tip, don't build it yourself.
If you were a hard core PC geek, you wouldn't need this info. By that same train of thought, if you buy a computer tower or computer bundle you will also get the 1yr-3yr warranty. If you build it yourself you don't. Any problems and you're on your own.

Hope this helps, I may be wrong about something here or there, if I am I'm sure someone will point it out. In which case I will vigorously deny it Weird Look

Keep up todate with latest virus scares, google, microsoft, linspire and more:
Web and Technology News

BurningAngelwings

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers thanks that helped loads Big Grin I've ordered a pc yesturday which is costing me £670 ... Should be getting it within the next two weeks Big Grin thanks for your help ... Birthday Big Grin

webguy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could help. :)

When you get a chance post the specs. Make some of us jealous ;) like me for instance.. Big Grin

Keep up todate with latest virus scares, google, microsoft, linspire and more:
Web and Technology News

BurningAngelwings

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the specs ...

http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/spec_mat2800tft.htm

I've ordered it and it should be here on the 26th Oct Big Grin

Thanks ... Now i just need to find some decent security software ;)

BryanDowning

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://symantec.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: