PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
3D Metal Tear?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

aoisenshi05

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: 3D Metal Tear? Reply with quote

hello. for a project, I need to simulate a metal tear. (not the water that comes from eyes...) Something like a bullet hole that I can apply to different faces of a 3D cube. In other words, not a straight on bullet hole, but looking at it from an angle. Anything will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look up torn paper tutorials to get the basic shape. You may be able to figure it out from there, if not we can help put a metal texture on the background layer, and change it's direction and colour a bit for putting on the torn up bits.

you could just make different layers, each witha different tear or rip shape around a hole, but there's probably a fancy-schmancy way to do it.

how to make a metal texture:
http://www.matbastian.com/tuts/metal-texture-photoshop-tutorial.htm

I whipped up a quick one by drawing wierd shapes with the lasso tool and filling them. The results aren't impressive. And it's not from the side like you wanted.

Thsi tutorial does basically what I did but looks way better;
http://www.spoono.com/photoshop/tutorials/tutorial.php?id=40

(maybe I should've read it before trying myself)

tear.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.88 KB
 Viewed:  2172 Time(s)

tear.gif

aoisenshi05

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I sort of have an idea now. But I still can't find a tutorial on how to do it with a perspective that's looking at the surface from around a 45 degree angle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you had mentioned a 3D cube. Could you use that 3D software to generate the bullethole image too? You could do it using the same techniques as in that link I found, but it would require good drawing skills.

aoisenshi05

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm making the cube in photoshop, but I originally tried to do the whole thing in a free 3D modeler, but it didn't look that good and I couldn't even find out how to export the model to photoshop...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: