PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
PF FT: Managing Space
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> PhotoshopForums.com Tutorials and Featured Tips
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

BryanDowning

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: PF FT: Managing Space Reply with quote

Tip: Managing Space

I recently spent about a week away from my dual monitor setup and forgot how useful that second monitor really is. I was working in Photoshop on a 17-inch CRT and it was nearly unbearable. I came up with a fairly workable solution.

The first step is to decide which palettes you really need. Then join them all into one movable palette. Then save your workspace (Window > Workspace > Save Workspace...). Then close every palette including the tools palette. Then save another workspace. When you want your palettes out of the way just select your empty workspace! That was my quick solution for the space problem.

Does anybody else have any space saving techniques for single monitor setups?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Datameister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! My advice to anyone who never has enough pixel real estate: get a big monitor, if possible. It'll help so much. And don't go with CRT monitors, because as Brian has noted, they are--to put it lightly--terrible.

Only use the palettes you need. For me, that's usually just Layers, Channels, Paths, sometimes Actions, and History, plus the toolbar. When I'm using Photoshop, everything else can be hidden.

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sit in front of 17-inch (1280x1024) CRT all day with not too many problems.

BryanDowning

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual monitors change lives...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a 15" CRT. Then I got a 21". It had to be run at a little over 1600x1200 to look really good. Then it burnt out and I was forced to root out the old 15". I felt like I was using photoshop and 3d animating on a game boy.

teddc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 19" and 17". Have had for some time. I find it hard now to work on a single monitor

ted

snarff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alternatively you could just "shift+tab" to hide/show your palettes :)

BryanDowning

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, didn't even know that! Thanks! Big Grin

snarff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeek! sorry was i stating the obvious?
Eek

stevealmighty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snarff wrote:
alternatively you could just "shift+tab" to hide/show your palettes :)

Also, pressing just tab will hide everything except your menu (file, image etc.). Pressing tab hides your pallettes, toolbar and the "status bar" at the bottome of PS. I will use either/or (usually just tab) to hide everything then I'll press the "F" key to change the background. Pressing the "F" key more than once will give you different ways to view your current work. Pressing it once hides the windows photoshop bar (at the utmost top of the screen, the bar that reads Photoshop), pressing it twice will also hide your top windows bar AND your start button and bottom widows bar, giving you even more viewing area on your monitor! I do this and then hit tab to hide everything. Gives me plenty of space to work with, speciall when I'm dealing with larger images. Oh, and at home I've got a 17" crt, and at work I've got a brand new 20.1" lcd @ the highest resolution (1200x1600 I think).

I'm good with the shortcuts for the tools and menus, so it's fairly easy for me to navigate through PS without a toolbar or menu's.

All gave some, some gave all.....Lest we forget that war produces veterans, wounded both mentally and physically, and it is our job to help them now, as they have already helped us all in ways we will never know, and in ways that we take for granted every day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> PhotoshopForums.com Tutorials and Featured Tips All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: