PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Please explain PSD files I don't get it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

irishis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Please explain PSD files I don't get it Reply with quote

I keep seeing free templates with PSD files included. When I look at the the PSD file it's the whole site, layers and all. It looks like the whole site is a PSD file, does this mean the site was created this way or am I missing a step here. I've been doing website for too many years and fighting ever using Photoshop just cuz it was complicated and time consuming to learn all the shortcut keystrokes, lack of time etc.. Now I think I would like to learn it but I can't wrap my head around how much it can do for me in web design? Love doing hands on tutorials to learn also but most seem to be for the more advanced user, I am brand new!

salvadore

PS Version: CS5.5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, a .psd IS just a file with all the layers unflattened you are correct in that.
But how you utalize this as a web site is through CSS, HTML, and perhaps a little PHP.

when you get templates you may be getting all the CSS and HTML code as well, I am not sure, but also the PSD could be defined as a "template" as well

irishis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Thanks but still Reply with quote

I get tutorials in my email, how to design a clean website in Photoshop etc... and they are complete website with fake text and everything(these are not websites they are pictures of websites as far as I can see). I can see designing a layout of how a site would work to present to a client to say, here this is what I want to do, but these don't seem to be that. Taking away from the templates that do come with the psd which I assume is so you can modify to your needs the tuts confuse.

irishis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: oh and another question Reply with quote

In these psd files there are tons of layers. How exactly would you pull one element say a logo to modify just it, when it has maybe 5 layers all on it's own. Can you copy a layer(with it's sublayers) and just modify and use this as a single graphic?

hawkeye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to, you can merge just the layers you want into one layer. Easiest way, turn off all the other layers you don't want merged then right click a layer then select Merge Visible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Export, Output and Optimization All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: