PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Contour enhancement and greyscale shading, how to ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

dexxsterlab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Contour enhancement and greyscale shading, how to ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I wish to maniuplate my pictures in order to get those grayscale images found in many sellers catalogues, where the outline looks like it was enhanced with a pencil and the body of the subject is gray shaded. I don't know how this tecnique is named, but it was very popular in old reviews.
An example of what I wish to obtain can be seen in every pictures shown the following site: http://www.mcmaster.com/

Can you please suggest me a suitable filter/method ?

Thanks in advance.

thehermit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum. Your example shows a technical drawing style, this is probably more suitable for Adobe Illustrator than Photoshop and relies on a suitable knowledge of paths and of course technical drawings or scale images of the items your require to draw.

dexxsterlab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehermit wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum. Your example shows a technical drawing style, this is probably more suitable for Adobe Illustrator than Photoshop and relies on a suitable knowledge of paths and of course technical drawings or scale images of the items your require to draw.

Yes, it looks like the pictures were hand-made, but the items on their catalogue are 500.000+ and I can't believe that they spent their time to make such enormous job (plus the updates). Also, some details of most pictures reveal that the origin is a real photograph. That's why I wish to understand if and how one can make it with Photoshop. One of the effects may be solarization. Thanks for the reply, however.

xiopics

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: black and white with photocopy filter Reply with quote

Dexxterlab, I'm using PS CS5
I make a duplicate of the original image and make this duplicate black and white (what ever method you prefer) then apply the photocopy filter under sketch. That gives you the edges you are looking for.

Then, play with the blending modes of the duplicate layer and it should show you the underlying layer (original) with dark edges.

If the original was a grey scale image, that should be it.
the attached file shows a before and after.

Hopefully that helps...

Untitled-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.74 KB
 Viewed:  565 Time(s)

Untitled-1.jpg

dexxsterlab

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: black and white with photocopy filter Reply with quote

xiopics wrote:
Dexxterlab, I'm using PS CS5
I make a duplicate of the original image and make this duplicate black and white (what ever method you prefer) then apply the photocopy filter under sketch. That gives you the edges you are looking for.

Then, play with the blending modes of the duplicate layer and it should show you the underlying layer (original) with dark edges.

If the original was a grey scale image, that should be it.
the attached file shows a before and after.

Hopefully that helps...

Great, thank you very much !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: