PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Place a flower on a new, coloured background - How to?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

WesternGuy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Place a flower on a new, coloured background - How to? Reply with quote

I am fairly new to Photoshop in that I haven't used it (CS6) very much in a couple of years. I am trying to remove all of the background stuff in a wildflower image and replace it with a solid coloured background, so that I end up with, for example, a blue flower on a soft red background.

I can select the flower, but at some stage in the selection process, the "selection" jumps from the flowers stem to the entire image and I don't know why. When I have been able to select that part of the flower that I want to keep, I get a bit lost in how to proceed. My understanding is that I need to create a new layer with the "background" colour that I want on it and then, somehow, merge this layer so that my flower layer is on top of the coloured one. It is this "overlaying" that I am finding hard to make work.

Any insight/assistance or reference to how to get this done will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

WesternGuy

SC Photo Designs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use the pen tool to make a selection around the flower, this will give you full control of what is being selected, and you can get really close to ensure a good "cut out", then make the selection, then copy and paste it into a new layer, create another new layer and place it underneath your layer with the selection in it, and colour it however you choose.
If you have any problems let me know :)

WesternGuy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I will give this a try and see how it works

WesternGuy

WesternGuy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC Photo Designs wrote:
I would use the pen tool to make a selection around the flower, this will give you full control of what is being selected, and you can get really close to ensure a good "cut out", then make the selection, then copy and paste it into a new layer, create another new layer and place it underneath your layer with the selection in it, and colour it however you choose.
If you have any problems let me know :)

Well, I tried it and I quickly found out that my hand is not steady enough to follow the outline of the flower against the background, unless I am not doing this correctly, and that may be the case as I suspect my lack of experience may be showing. Any suggestions?

WesternGuy

SC Photo Designs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice practice practice ;) or I can do it for you lol

WesternGuy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC Photo Designs wrote:
Practice practice practice ;) or I can do it for you lol

Frustration, frustration, frustration...(has to be a better way Big Grin )

You really don't want to do it for me LOL . Thanks for the offer.

WesternGuy

SC Photo Designs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, can you show me the picture and I'll try and think of the best way

WesternGuy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Here is a simple example of the flower I am trying to work with. Others may have more complex petals and stems/leaves associated with them, but this is where I started - start simple and understand the process. This is a small jpeg of the original raw image attached (hopefully).
Big Grin

WesternGuy

20150722-_A4Q8028.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.57 KB
 Viewed:  593 Time(s)

20150722-_A4Q8028.jpg

SC Photo Designs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're using the quick selection tool, the reason it jumps to selecting the whole image (or more than you want) when you get to the stem is because the stem isn't a very different colour from the background, and it's finding it hard to distinguish what you want to select, do it again, but when it selects more than you want it to, hold down your Alt key and "erase away" the selection, this will make it smaller (this turns the icon to a minus), meaning it will de-select, so you can in essence fine point the area you want selecting, hope that makes sense. I am useless at explaining things :/

SC Photo Designs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a link to a video tutorial, this is exactly what you need to watch :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vru8BoENiHQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: