PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Lightsaber Images
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Data, you may have a wickedly complex tut, and many years more experience, but I'll give it a try. Expect me back in a day or two.
BTW, how'd you feel if, for my first try, I just follow your tutorial and change it from there?

I have one criticism. In one of you posted pics, it looks as if there's a ball on the end of the 'saber. I think it should smooth off in a parabolic shape at the tip.

And a personal gripe about 'saber colour. When I first watched the original trilogy, it struck me that good and evil were represented by 'saber colour.

Then there was that fight where Anakin had a jedi and a sith saber, one in each hand. This seemed to me to symbolize his internal duel between good and evil, jedi and sith. But then everything went nuts, with no respect to proper saber colours whatsoever, especially Grievous and his four Jedi sabers. I personally think it was a thoughtless perversion of the classic symbolism from the first trilogy.

oh well, call me crazy.

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey data, could you possibly post a loink where we can find good pics of 'sabers from the original trilogy, and possibly some from episode i, ii, iii so we can compare between the two styles?

Some of don't have a strong enough connection with the force to know exactly how it looks. Maybe I've got a low midi-chlorian count. Big Wink

(this is the part where someone asks " I was wondering, what are midi-chlorians?")

I know it's a tall order, don't worry about it too much.

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is completely unrelated, but...
http://wso.williams.edu/~rfoxwell/starwars/SWSounds.htm
the page contains many many star wasr sound clips. I grabbed a few, so when I log onto my my computer, it says "begin primary ignition" in the voice of the imperial gunner just before they blow up a planet, Dantooine I think.

Datameister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it's great to have someone respond here! LOL

I haven't noticed a ball-like tip on any of the lightsabers I posted here, but I've seen that happen before. The Screen layers can interact with the background in a funny way; sometimes you have to manually tweak it.

I don't mind at all if you use my technique as a starting point. Feel free to use it!

I agree with your saber color gripe to some extent. The thing with red blades--they were used by the Sith only, and Grievous isn't really a Sith Lord. He's just a mortally wounded alien warlord trapped in the body of a machine. He collects lightsabers as trophies of his victories over the Jedi, so I'd say it's appropriate, just a little different from what we'd expect.

I'm sorry to say that I don't have a great source for lightsaber pictures. Many of the source pictures I used in this thread were screen shots from the DVDs; I own all of them on DVD. (Well, I don't own Episode III, of course, but I have the DVD that comes with the soundtrack, which has a few shots with lightsabers.) So using these for anything commercial would probably be illegal. I have found a number of pictures on the Internet, though; for instance, the shot of Grievous and Obi-Wan was a picture I found on wikipedia.

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh hey, DVD's I have episode II DVD. However, you seemed to indicate that they were done diferently in the new trilogy, and that you wanted us to emiulate the original trilogy's look.

Another completely unrelated sidetrack:
I have the original trilogy re-issure VHS, which came in a box that was half gold, half black with a pic of Darth Vader on it. When you close the lid at a slight angle ( which is possible because it's longer at one end) it makes a perfect fart sound, every time. Does everyones' do that, or is it just me?

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: I;m sort of done Reply with quote

I've followed the tutorial strictly for both 'sabers. I only went up to step 11, because the next steps didn't seem to work for me. If I get them to work, I'll post again.

==edit==
datameister's original doesn't seem to show up. Oh well, I'd just pasted in the URL of it's location on page 1.

lightsabers_datameistertut_tostep11.jpg
 Description:
My work, done by following datameister's tutorial
 Filesize:  159.25 KB
 Viewed:  3283 Time(s)

lightsabers_datameistertut_tostep11.jpg

hamillvsprowse9li.jpg
 Description:
Datameister's work, first posted on first page of this thread
 Filesize:  0 Bytes
 Viewed:  3283 Time(s)

hamillvsprowse9li.jpg

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just increased saturation for both blades.

Is there a way to exclude a single layer from an adjustment layer?
In this case I put a saturation adjustment at the top of the layer stack set to +24, and another just above the background layer set to -24, but it would be a lot easier if there was an exclude option for a layer.

Data, you'd said earlier you wanted to be owned in this thread. I don't think it's gonna happen. You also said you'd created the perfect technique for the blades. Those two comments don't really go together. Dodgy

one more curious question:
the source image is called hamillvsprowse. Who's Prowse?

lightsabers_datameistertut_tostep11_satchanges.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.16 KB
 Viewed:  3276 Time(s)

lightsabers_datameistertut_tostep11_satchanges.jpg

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just clicked file. My mouse was half-way down to save when my pc crashed. I lost 30 - 40 minutes of work on the big orange flare that occurs when the sabers crash. It's a good excuse to restart, and do differently al the things I didn't like. I'll try to post tomorrow. Or later today, seeing as it 12:58 in the morinig.

Gallo_Pinto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I've redone it and I'm back. Yeah seventh post in a row! there's just a big column of my smilin' faces!

I'm still not happy with it. I've tried to add an effect of the saber clash throwing orange light on Hamill's Face, and a little on Prowse's hands.

I didn't realize till last night that Id given "luke" a red 'saber and "Vader" a blue one.

hammill-prowse_duel_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  167.33 KB
 Viewed:  3258 Time(s)

hammill-prowse_duel_1.jpg

Datameister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin' pretty nice! I like the orange flare. Very similar to the effect in the movies, which is good.

Quote:
Data, you'd said earlier you wanted to be owned in this thread. I don't think it's gonna happen. You also said you'd created the perfect technique for the blades. Those two comments don't really go together.

True, I'm sorry. LOL I felt like this was a pretty good technique, but I wanted to see better ones. There's always room for improvement.

(If I sounded full of myself or cocky when I said it was the perfect technique, I apologize. I got over-excited. Blush )

About excluding layers from adjustment layers: I don't know of a way to do that, but you can apply an adjustment layer to only a specific layer. Create the adjustment layer and group it to the layer you want affected. I believe you can group other layers you want affected to the original layer, too.

David Prowse was the actor in the Darth Vader suit for the original trilogy. However, he didn't do the lightsaber fights, I think, so it seems odd that he'd be rehearsing the fight with Mark Hamill... Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
Jump to: